Congratulations on getting your new piercing and we hope you enjoy it for years. Typically a piercing can take up to 12 months to heal and even though the piercing may look healed, the healing can still be occurring underneath. Be patient and continue your cleaning routine to reduce the risk of any infections. Even a while after it is fully healed, it is advised to clean it periodically as build up can occur in the pierced area. Below we have listed our tried and true method on how to take care of your piercing!
Use one or both of the following solutions for healing piercings:
• Packaged sterile saline (with no additives, read the label) is a gentle choice for piercing aftercare. If sterile saline is not available in your region a sea salt solution mixture can be a viable alternative. Dissolve 1/4 teaspoon of non-iodized (iodine-free)
sea salt into one cup of warm distilled or bottled water.
Cleaning Instructions for Body Piercings
• WASH your hands thoroughly prior to cleaning or touching your piercing for any reason.
• SALINE soak for five to ten minutes 3 times per day. Invert a cup of warm saline solution over the area to form a vacuum. For certain piercings it may be easier to apply using clean gauze or paper towels saturated with saline solution. A cotton swab soaked in saline may also be used to wipe the area, and jewelry clean - 2 times per day.
• RINSE thoroughly after contact with water or soaps, to remove all traces of from the piercing. It is not necessary to rotate the jewelry
through the piercing.
• DRY by gently patting with clean, disposable paper products.
For any questions or call/email North York Ink or your piercer below.